Danny White was named Vice President and Director of Athletics at UCF on Nov. 18, 2015. He began his tenure at UCF Dec. 14, 2015.
White comes to UCF from the State University of New York at Buffalo, where he has served as Director of Athletics since May 2012. Regarded as one of the nation’s most talented young athletic directors, White brings a strong record of success on the field and in the classroom to UCF.
White, a former college basketball player and New Orleans native, has quickly ascended in the ranks of college athletics leadership. Prior to his role as AD at Buffalo, White was senior associate athletics director at the University of Mississippi from 2009-12. He previously served as associate athletics director for development at California State University – Fresno and assistant athletics director for development at Northern Illinois University from 2006-07.
He played college basketball at Towson University and the University of Notre Dame and was director of operations and assistant coach for one season each with Ohio University’s men’s basketball team.
During his tenure in Buffalo, White worked with athletics administrators, coaches, and staff to transform the Bulls’ program and culture, shattering previous school records for student-athlete GPAs, NCAA tournament berths, fundraising, and football ticket sales.
During White’s three years at Buffalo, he, his colleagues and the Bulls’ student-athletes raised the program’s profile in the community and nationally. Their achievements include:
- Buffalo teams, including men’s basketball, earned three NCAA tournament bids in 2014-15, compared with just one in the prior 15 years.
- UB student-athletes have recorded an average GPA of at least 3.0 for seven consecutive semesters. Prior to White’s arrival, the average GPA had never exceed 3.0 in any semester.
- Financial support for UB athletics has reached an all-time high, with the number of donors increasing by 137 percent since the start of a membership campaign in 2013.
- UB shattered its football attendance records in 2013 after adding interactive opportunities for fans, including a tailgate concert series with nationally known artists.
- The state’s largest public university and the flagship of the SUNY system, UB for the first time adopted a radio network that spanned the entire state.
White is a 2002 graduate of Notre Dame with a bachelor’s degree in business administration. He earned master’s degrees in both business administration and sports administration from Ohio University. He is working to complete a PhD in higher education from the University of Mississippi, expecting to earn that degree in 2016.
White comes from a family deeply involved in intercollegiate athletics. His father, Kevin, is director of athletics at Duke University. His brother, Michael, is the head men’s basketball coach at the University of Florida. His brother, Brian, is the senior associate athletics director for development at the University of Missouri.